Saturday, September 19, 2015

Homemade Sausage and Veggie Pizza!

Hello everyone!

As a college student living on her own, I have to cook for myself. My initial thought about this: why me! Now: hey, it's not so bad after all! And it really isn't. This is not to say that every recipe is easy as pie, but there are a ridiculous amount of recipes that are pretty do-able. Let's face it, guys, if I can do it, you can do it ten times better! Anyway, that's my little introductory spiel, and on to the actual recipe itself!


Who doesn't like pizza? Certainly not me, but Pizza hut and Dominos can burn a hole in your pocket and not to mention it's not always on the healthy side of the scale! My recipe is not a textbook definition of a healthy meal, but it definitely lists better than something you can order and trust me when I say it tastes amazing!


The indigents you need are pretty simple and you have probably have most, if not all of this already in your kitchen! Here's what I used for 1 serving:

Ingredients


  1. 1 Pita bread
  2. 1/3 cup of finely grated mild cheddar cheese 
  3. 1/3 pound of ground Italian sausage
  4. 1/3 cup of chunky tomato, garlic and onion pasta sauce
  5. 1/2 a large white onion
  6. 1/3 green bell pepper
  7. 1.5 tsp butter or oil
  8. 1/3 tsp ginger and garlic paste (optional)
  9. 1tsp chili flakes (optional)
  10. 1tsp chili powder (optional)
  11. Salt to taste

**you can substitute many of these ingredients such as the meat, cheese, pasta sauce, and veggies. 
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 205 degrees Celsius
  2. I started off by cooking the meat on a medium-high heat. I didn't add any oil because the fat in the meat sufficed. Once it developed a beautiful brown color, I added the ginger garlic paste, chili flakes and powder to give it some heat (Sri Lankan roots showing here!)
    Sausage cooked to perfection!
  3. In a hot skillet, I added the onions and bell pepper with 1.5tsp of butter to soften up the veggies. I added a pinch of salt here 
    Cooking the veggies!
  4. Next, I placed one pita bread on a pizza pan and slathered a generous amount of pasta sauce. I love the sweet and thick texture of chunky pasta sauce but feel free to change it up!
    All that pasta sauce..yum

  5. Then, I added some beautiful golden cheese 
    Add the cheese!
  6. After, I piled up on the sausage and added the veggies before sprinkling a little bit of cheese. (Personally, you can never have too much cheese!)
    Pile on that meat!


Veggies next!

Top it off with the cheese!
    7.     Finally, I let the pizza sit in the oven for 12 minutes before serving it up!
One word: DELISH!

My attempt at a decent plating!

This took me under 30 minutes to make and it's a great recipe to have in you repertoire! The pita bread developed a beautiful crunch and the cheese was melted to perfection! I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!

Cheers,

Kavi

No comments:

Post a Comment